Background: Know: Recognize: Prerequisites - IEEE, RFCs
- Standards are critical for enabling interoperability, but are developed through multi-vendor negotiations. eg. Often include optional features that some don't want to use/implement.
- What variant of a standard does an implementation provide? eg.
- IEEE Protocol Implementation Conformance Statements (PICS)
- RFCs define necessity to implement a feature with “MUST” “SHOULD” “MAY” clauses [RFC2119]
- Management Information Base (MIB): MODULE-COMPLIANCEstatements [S5 of RFC1904]