Anything that can be managed separately from other things i.e. hardware devices (e.g. routers) and modules (e.g. interface card) and software processes (e.g. Apache )
- Router: through managing router, the transmission of data packet among different network can be realized.
- Interface card: through managing interface card, the data that users want to transmit can be transfered into the discernible format by other devices in the network.
- Apache: through managing such software, some certain functions can be realised
A representation of an aspect of an element that can be managed e.g. get/set IP address & default TTL, get count of packets received.
- Set IP address: only after setting correct IP address can the user access the internet.
Software on element that enables management
- Software router: through managing this, setting some parameters, a PC or sever can realise the same functions as router,what's more, in this way, it can be lower cost.
Network Management System/Centre (NMS/NMC)Edit
Manages objects through agents; often located in a Network Operations Centre
The things which users directly care about
- Most of the services are included in Performance Management, e.g. volume, throughtput, delay,jitter,loss rate and dependability.